Thursday, October 2, 2008

Traffic

Devin's with my friend Trisha because my daycare provider, Susan, is on vacation this week. So, I've had to take a different train, go a different route and, in the midst of all this, I had to juggle 3 doctors appointments this week.

Now, you may recall from an earlier post that I had gone to the hospital last week for what I thought were Braxton Hicks contractions. It turns out that it was probably pain from the fibroids they discovered on my uterus when Devin was born.
In any event, I had my O/B appointment scheduled this morning, so I really really wanted to get my doctor's opinion on what he thought was causing the pain. I also wanted to get my c-section scheduled. Well, I got a call from his office yesterday that they had to move my 10am appointment because he had a meeting at that time. NO!!!! You can't do this to me! I need to talk to him. Well, they had an opening at 8:20am. Well, guess what? I had a dentist appointment at 8:45am.

I had to choose one or the other.

I obviously chose the doctor.

So, I called the dentist's office to tell them my dilemma (and to avoid having to pay a fee because I was cancelling sooner than 24 hours in advance.) And lo and behold, they had a cancellation and they could fit me in at 11:45am. HOORAY! I'll take it!

So, it's all working out swell. The only thing I need to do is leave my house early since the commuter train I needed to take was at 7:30am and I just wouldn't get there in time if I left at my normal 7am.

So I left at 6:40am. And guess what I hit? RIIIIGHTTT. Traffic. Lovely lovely traffic. Have I ever mentioned how MUCH I LOATE traffic?

Anything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

There was bumper to bumper traffic on the two highways that I drive on to get to Trisha's. There was traffic on the road getting off the highway.

I got stuck behind a schoolbus.

I hit a bunch of traffic lights.

I call Trisha, crying, letting her know that I'm just down the street from her house and can she meet me outside so I can do the kid transfer as fast as possible, because I'm still determined to catch that train.

I get to Trisha's house at 7:27. Right, the train is at 7:30. And I still need to drive to the train station which is a few blocks up from Trisha's house.

I am bombing down the street that the station is on and I see the train moving. OMG. Is it pulling in to the station or leaving the station? I don't care. I keep driving. I'm trying to cross the street so I can get into the parking lot and there are cars on either side of me. LET ME GO!!! I have to wait.

I get into the parking lot, park my car at the first available spot, throw the car into Park, grab my work bag and my coffee and start sprinting to the train.

I MADE IT BY A MATTER OF SECONDS. I swear, someone was on my side. Someone was looking out for me. I know it's stupid to be getting so worked up over a train ride into the city, but after all the scheduling and rescheduling I had to do for these appointments, I didn't want it all to come to an abrupt halt because I missed a damn train.

No comments: